Saturday 3 November 2007

Power of attorney

I'm sorry I haven't been around commenting in my daily blogs and posting in mine, but I've been very busy with all the things I must get ready as soon as possible. I've been visiting your blogs, just not commenting since I do it as fast as I can :$

This week we got our powers of attorney! A power of attorney is a legal document where you give power to someone else to act in your behalf in all kind of situations, you can specify the situation(s) or be a little more general if you don't have something specific in mind.

For example, my mum can buy a house for me, sell things, close my bank account, open bank accounts, etc. You have to give this to someone you really really trust because is very delicate.

We are leaving a few general powers of attorney to our parents, so they can finish anything we don't have time to do so, or so they can do something for us once we are in Canada so we don't have to come back. This is specially important for us in Venezuela since we don't know if we'll be back even on vacations; we are pretty afraid that once we are outside Venezuela, if we comeback even for a day, they may not let us go back to Canada.

Think about having one of these before immigrating, is very useful and you never know when you'll need it ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really useful. I'm still struggling to close my French bank account back home... wish I have done that !

Aiglee said...

I know exactly what you mean, and I know a lot of people in similar situations, that it's why we are doing it ^^