Monday 15 October 2007

Imagine the pain

Today I was reading one of my morning immigration forums and I found a discussion about why venezuelans want to leave, and wouldn't stay to fight for our country, for a better tomorrow here, in our homeland.

Some people said that we are allowing the government to ruin the country and our lifes, and then someone wrote something that inspired me to write this post, he wrote: "Quizás la cobardía por haberlo permitido se compense con el sacrificio de haber empujado a un hijo a irse, y soportar la tristeza de su ausencia, y la incertidumbre de su bienestar"
--> "Maybe the cowardice for allowing that, will be compensated with the sacrifice of having pushed a son to go, and living the sorrow of his absence, and the uncertainty about his wellbeing"

That phrase broke my heart, that phrase could only be said by a parent, an immigrant's father or mother. I just pictured my mum and dad the first day we talked seriously about immigrating, they were crying, telling us to go, to leave the country, saying that we didn't have a future here.

At that moment I didn't see it as a sacrifice, but reading that I can only imagine how hard must that been to them and will be to them, you are really pushing away your son, hoping they will have a better life.

I can only imagine with tears in my eyes and my heart in my hands...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even if they don't say it too much, I know it was tough for my parents. Leaving is always tough. I hate it.

Aiglee said...

Yes, my father in law doesn't say it either, but we know it. That phrase it's just what they don't say but feel deep inside.

Aiglee said...

My brother in law told me this yesterday about my post:

"We are, by nature, a peaceful people. The extreme polarization present today in our country has been instilled by the leaders of the so called revolution. Many of us have come to realize that once the government has concentrated all the power as it has currently done there are no peaceful avenues left for a solution. Thus the choice to leave rather than face a violent future such as the one Colombians lived (and continue to live in many parts of their country) for so many years. We leave so that our children are not forced to face this future and also so they are not subjected to the all the "Bolivarian" non-sense that this government wants to institute as part of the new school programs."